Web Design and Development
This package will provide a comprehensive, stimulating, and innovation-focused introduction into frontend web development. Students will be immersed into all three key web development languages, as well as the important UI/UX design principles for creating user-friendly websites, while also constantly exercising their creativity through guided projects and code-alongs. This experience encourages students to view websites as a limitless means of expression––whether it’s to host a complex backend algorithm or to present information in the most aesthetically pleasing way possible. By the end of the package, students will have multiple projects that they can later expand on to create a portfolio.
This course will allow students to:
- Understand the role of HTML in web development, and use HTML elements and structure to create well-organized, semantically correct web pages.
- Understand the principles of CSS: writing rules, using selectors, and controlling the layout and spacing of content on a web page using the Box Model.
- Develop a deeper understanding of CSS layout techniques, including the use of Flexbox and Grid to create more complex and sophisticated web page layouts.
- Understand how to use CSS to create visually appealing typography using font properties.
- Understand design psychology, color theory, and typography, and apply them to web design to create effective user experiences and interfaces.
- Learn about universal design and accessibility standards to create web pages that are usable and accessible to a wide range of users.
- Build web projects that exhibit responsive design, animations, and interactivity to serve a need in the student’s life or community, or to simply express creativity.
- Gain exposure to real-world applications of web development and understand how web development can be used to solve problems and create innovative solutions.